Monday, May 1, 2017

Poem: Miserable Daughter of Upper Nile


 By Wenne Madyt Dengs

Unknown Daughter voice………………….

I am a daughter
Born of bullets
In the nightmares of tribalism
Bringing cannibalism

I am an emaciated girl
With my deaf mother
She is numbed by blood
In the rain of bullets

My pride is kidnapped
My hope is shuttered
I am a daughter without a chance to grow
Worries kill me everyday
I am a daughter;
Who is uncertain about tomorrow
I die in silence everyday

I am a daughter
Like I have nothing
I’ll be positive
For I am your wealth
But only when your blood clots

I am a daughter
That doesn’t know her beauty
Upper Nile,
You’re my own mother
Why have you forsaken me?
Death stands at my doorpost
I see humanity at stake
Why Upper Nile my mother


Upper Nile,
There is no love
There is no unity
You inhale famine
And exhale your wealth
Why Upper Nile my mother?

Upper Nile,
It is news of rapping
I am eaten up by my brothers
Incest!
Every day it is news of my father
He’s killed!
Every day I pick lifeless child
Died of hunger!

Upper Nile
In Bentiu
My pride is scrambled
In Malakal
I am a point of despair
In Bor
Tribalism beats me up
Why Upper Nile my mother?

Upper Nile,
When my womanhood ripens
It’s torn by the wolves
I am either defiled or rapped
It’s maturity in immorality
You need me decayed
My Upper Nile my mother

Upper Nile,
I walk in Jungle
When I am in Jonglei
I walk in mud
When I am in Malakal
I lost my beauty
When I am in Bentiu

There is an epitaph
In every homestead
It bears children names
I am sending this message to you
Wake up, your daughter has become a duster


 

©2017 Jonglei Times Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons and we allow public opinions. 

Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which Jonglei Times does not have the legal right to edit or correct.         

No comments:

Post a Comment

In South Sudan 'copyright laws do not exist'

Many South Sudanese artists are opting to have their works produced in other countries where there is copyright legislation. Writers, poet...